The Lake Land College office of Community and Professional Programs will offer community courses throughout the month of June for children from ages four to 17. Summer is a great time for your child to find a new hobby, brush up on a skill and have some fun with Lake Land College.
The course details and information are as follows:
· Register for a martial arts class and increase your self-control, gain self-confidence, develop respect for yourself and others, improve flexibility, and increase muscle strength and improve conditioning.
o In Mattoon – Tae Kwon Do with instructor Kevin Roberts; ages 7 to 17; course number CE-SPRT106-29196. Those 18 and older, register for CNC-017-17964. Class meets Mondays and Thursdays, June 10 - August 1 from 6-7:30 p.m. in Mattoon at the Burgess Osborne Auditorium. The cost is $125.80. Little Tiger, section CE-SPRT106-30019, for children ages four through six meets from 5-6 p.m. on the same dates at the same location.
o Do you have six months of training and have a Green Belt or above? If so, join Kevin Roberts in Martial Arts Next Level on Tuesdays from June 11 – July 30 from 6-7:30 p.m. to further increase your muscle strength, and flexibility. Children should register in CE-RECR202-29225, and those 18 and older should register for CNC-020-17973.
o In Effingham, Karate will meet Mondays and Thursdays from June 10- August 1 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Effingham Academy of Gymnastics. Children ages eight through 17 should register in CE-SPRT106-29200; those 18 and older should register in section CNC-017-18406. In addition, children ages five through seven will meet Thursdays from June 13-August 1 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. The course number is CE-SPRT103-29233. The cost for each course is $102.80. Instructors William Shuler and David Shuler.
· Portrait and Nature Photography is a beginner digital photography course for ages 8-17. CE-PHTO111-29543 will meet Monday through Thursday, June 24-27 from 9 – 11 a.m. in Webb Hall, room 105. The class will include nature walks around campus and a portrait session. Bring any type of digital camera and be prepared to print four photos per student, outside of class. The instructor will be Jennifer Bryant and the cost is $42.
· Be transported back in time and experience life like Laura Ingalls Wilder, come visit Little House on the Prairie. Make a patch quilt block, churn butter, make a button necklace and bake bread or pretzels. Instructor Cheryl Stolz will guide you through a day from long ago. This class is open for children ages six through 12. The section, CE-LERN107-29923, will meet Monday through Thursday, June 24-27 from 9 – 11 a.m.at the Mattoon Adult Area Education Center. Another section, CE-LERN107-29925 will meet Monday through Thursday, June 24-June 27 from 1-3 p.m. in Effingham at Centenary United Methodist Church. The cost at either location is $45.
· Come have fun and take home a unique memory. Make your pictures unique and fun by special waving techniques that highlight that special person or memory. Instructor Kathy Bryant will show you how in Picture Weaving, course number CE-PHTO113-29565. The class will meet on Thursday, June. 27 from noon to 3 p.m. in Webb Hall, room 105. The cost is $30.
· Improve your basketball skills at Coach Cedric Brown’s Basketball Academy. Each of the four days will be filled with skill-based instruction featuring: dribbling, passing, shooting, foot work, defensive principles, and competitive games. Bring your own lunch; drinks will be provided. There will also be a camp bank so parents can pre-purchase concessions sold during camp. For ages 8-18, register for CE-SPRT139-29157, which will meet Monday through Thursday from June 24 – June 27 from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. in the Field House Gym. The cost is $160.
If you can’t make a four day session single day sessions are available at a cost of $50 per session. The June listings are as follows:
o CE-SPRT140-29160 Monday June 24 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Field House Gym;
o CE-SPRT140-29161 Tuesday June 25 from 9 a.m.–3 p.m. in the Field House Gym;
o CE-SPRT140-29162 Wednesday June 26 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Field House Gym;
o CE-SPRT140-29163 Thursday June 27 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Field House Gym.
July sessions dates and times may be viewed online or call and request a schedule.
For more information, contact the Office of Community and Professional Programs, at 217-234-5219.
To register online using a VISA/MC Discover, go to www.lakeland college.edu/learn, choose the course number desired. To register by phone, call Admissions and Records at 217-234-5434. You will be sent a statement for payment. The drop date for a refund is five business days prior to the start of the class.