Shelbyville Daily Union

November 19, 2013

Post office addresses address changes

Shelbyville Daily Union

---- — Dear Shelbyville residents:

Last week the Coles County Regional Planning & Development Commission started sending out post cards with new 911 addresses to Rural Route addresses in Shelbyville. They were hired by the Shelby County Board. These changes were not made by the Shelbyville Post Office.

On the back of this postcard they suggest that you not make any changes for at least 30 days to allow time for possible changes. We strongly agree with this statement. We also suggest that you check the address you were given very carefully and make sure you actually live on the road that it says.

The Post Office cannot accept Change of Address cards when you change from your RR address to your new 911 address. Technically, you are not moving. The address you live at is changing. These new addresses are in our system already linked with your current address. You will have to contact all the people and businesses you correspond with. The postal service will give you one year to make these changes.

The Post Office has ordered special postcards to make it easier for you to change your new address. Please contact our office around the beginning of December if you would like to use these postcards.

If you haven’t received a postcard with your new 911 on it, please be patient; they are still working on them. If you haven’t received one by the 15th of December, you might want to give the Coles County Regional Planning & Development Commission a call. Their number is 217-348-0521.

Until we can learn this new system, we are asking you to be patient. It is as foreign to us as it is to you. If you’ve lived at your RR address for a long time, we should be able to find you by your name, but if you have a new person with a different name living with you and using this address, please let us know.

Thank you!

Your Rural Letter Carriers