After adopting a Health Life Safety amendment to include work on the High School roof, the Shelbyville school board authorized application for the school maintenance project for grants to pay for the project.
The roof replacement project includes installing a new single-ply fully adhered rubber roofing system to the gym and auditorium areas of the the building. The School Maintenance grant is in the amount of $350,000. The project is estimated at $405,720 including contingency and fees.
The board also approved the authorization for the School Energy Efficiency Project application for the heating and ventilation/air conditioning system replacement for the High School.
Hope Brown of Mose Yockey Brown and Kull LLC presented the audit report to the school board.
“The education fund was the only deficit fund spending. Most school have two or three funds with deficit spending,” Brown said.
She noted that the state and federal make up 52 percent of the revenue and the other 48 percent comes from local. The district has reserves which has helped in recent years.
“Your financial profile score is a perfect 4.0. To get a 4.0, you guys have worked hard,” Brown said.
The board approved the audit report.
Bence reported that area superintendents have met regarding the county sales tax referendum and will be seeking approval from their boards next month.
“Fifty-one percent of the districts have to agree to put it on the ballot this spring,” she said.
The districts will also be writing a purpose statement for the money generated and divided among them.
“Ours will go for the High School heating system,” Bence said.
She also suggesting signing a contract for the project before July 1 to lock in prices in anticipation of the referendum’s passage. The project would be completed by summer of 2015.
Following the executive session, the board approved the following coaching positions:
- Tadd Brachbill and Evan Casey as volunteer assistant High School wrestling coaches
- Tracy Agney, Caleb Duckett, Nate Bly as volunteer assistant Junior High wrestling coaches
Due to date conflicts, the next school board meeting will be held Monday, November 25, in the High School cafeteria.