- Local News
- Cowden-Herrick teacher negotiations at a standstill Despite working with a federal mediator, Cowden-Herrick teachers and the district's Board of Education are at a standstill in contract negotiations. The Cowden-Herrick Teachers Union and School Board met with the federal mediator November 25 and left
- Weakly wins 'Leading Owner' at AQHA show The American Quarter Horse Association, Oklahoma City - Josh Weakly of Shelbyville, Illinois, was named the 2013 Oklahoma City Leading Owner at the Bank of America Amateur and American Quarter Horse Association Open World Championship Show at State F
- School board hears tax levy proposal, other reports In other business from last week's school board meeting (see Friday, November 29, Daily Union), the Shelbyville school board was presented the proposed $4,548,556 levy. Superintendent Denise Bence noted that property taxes were going down resulting i
- No Headline Provided Tiny Tim hunt has begun. Watch for clues in the Daily Union and an extra clue online later this week at www.shelbyville dailyunion.com.
Rural Tower Hill home destroyed by fire
A fire Wednesday afternoon left a rural Tower Hill family homeless.
- Shelby School Board seeks tax referendum The Shelbyville School Board passed a resolution to try for a third time to propose a 1 percent sales tax on the March 18 ballot. School districts in the county representing 51 percent of Shelby County students had to agree to the resolution to put i
- Former rotary exchange student returns to visit host family Almost 30 years ago, a teenage girl from Toowoomba, Australia boarded a plane and braced herself for a 20-hour flight to a small farming town in Central Illinois as part of the Rotary Club youth exchange program. This week Diana Ruhle returned to Sh
- Strasburg celebrates Christmas Strasburg celebrates Christmas 2013 with a month full of events: Dec. 1, 1 p.m., Toy and Tool Sale. Strasburg Community Building. Sponsored by American Legion Post #289 Dec. 1, Christmas Cantata. United Methodist Church Dec. 5, 6 p.m. K-3 Stew-Stras
- Travelers cast wary eye as storm moves eastward DALLAS (AP) -- A winter storm system blamed for at least 10 fatal accidents in the West and Texas threatens to dampen the Thanksgiving holiday for millions of Americans traveling this week. Nearly 300 American Airlines and American Eagle flights were
- Shelbyville man looks to honor Civil War, Black Hawk War veterans A Shelbyville man is looking for help to honor two veterans with military headstones. Historian Ed Boedecker is looking for family members to help get the government issued headstones for Thomas Graham, a Civil War veteran, and ultimately for his fa
- More Local News Headlines