- Local News
- School board nixes press box expansion request The Shelbyville School Board began its regular meeting Thursday evening with kudos to the local committee who worked to educate the community on the sale tax referendum, which passed in Tuesday's primary election. They also commended the committees t
- Charleston to commemorate 1864 Riot The city of Charleston is putting on the 150th commemoration of the "Charleston Riot Days" this weekend starting Friday, March 28-30 in the downtown Charleston square. The event is in remembrance of a riot between union soldiers' home on military lea
- Music featured at Shelby County Art Show Visual art is not the only fine art venue being presented at the 48th Annual Shelby County Art Show when it takes place on April 12 and 13 at the Lake Shelbyville Visitor Center. Among the art demonstrators and the exhibit items will be vocalist and
- Election Results Correction In the report of the election results, The Daily Union reported that Moweaqua turned down the petition for the sale of alcohol in the village limits. Due to the wording on the ballot, the village voters elected to approve the sale of alcohol in the v
- City Council takes next steps on dangerous buildings The Shelbyville City Council continues to push for action on dilapidated buildings. Commissioner Gib Smart told the council Monday evening that his research into the ordinance showed the steps for the city to deal with the issue. A building must be i
- DeRyke pleads guilty to killing niece EFFINGHAM -- Justin D. DeRyke pled guilty Tuesday to the stabbing death of his niece, 7-year-old Willow Long of Watson in September of 2013. According to Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler, DeRyke's guilty plea was accepted by the Honorab
Sales Tax, Fox, Koonce winners in primary election
With nearly 40 percent voter turnout, Shelby County residents let their voices be heard in local and state races as well as local propositions.
Primary election results
Ongoing election results of contested races and propositions in Shelby County. All 33 precincts currently reporting.
- Coat Drive nets over 400 coats Through the generosity of area people, more than 360 coats were given to people in need this winter. The second annual Jason Jordan Memorial Coat Drive, collected more than 420 coats earlier this winter, according to organizer Dawn Reeves. "I want ev
- Shimkus' staff in Windsor March 25 Effingham, Illinois...Congressman John Shimkus (R, Illinois-15) has a tradition of having his staff hold office hours in addition to those he holds himself. This is an opportunity to meet with someone from Shimkus' office in your hometown. "These off
- More Local News Headlines