Shelbyville Daily Union

October 6, 2012

Windsor Storms Back, Beats South Central

JOHN CURTIS - Daily Union Sports Editor
CNHI

SHELBYVILLE, IL. — Windsor volleyball drove a stake in the ground and refused to back up anymore, as they came back from a game 1 loss on Friday to beat a good South Central squad, 20-25, 25-17, 25-22.

"We have been working really hard in practice to develop and expand our offense," said Devil coach Lori Bennett. "I'm proud of the progress we showed tonight as a result of that work. Everyone is stepping outside their comfort zone and working hard to get better. I think we are starting to believe that there is value in the struggle and that the process will pay off."

Seniors Jenny Bullock and Dani Bell led Windsor to the comeback win. Bullock swung for 14 of the 31 Devil kills. Bell recorded the 2nd highest dig total of anyone in the area in one match (24). But it wasn't just Bell's mid-court defense that made the difference.

"Dani Bell played the best passing and defensive game I have seen in a really long time," Coach Bennet said. "She was amazing and provided our team with so much stability. Her performance made our entire team confident and allowed us to play aggresively and take risks."

Windsor registered 31 kills, but only needed 23 assists (74%) to come back with a vengeance. Lindsay Floyd dished 15 assists and Olivia Williamson dished eight assists.

Meanwhile, Windsor had a cadre of seven hitters swing for kills and Bailey McQueen was still not in the line-up due to an injury.  

Following Bullock's 14 kills was Kassy Strowmatt with five, Charley Bailey with four, freshman Autumn Bennett with three and sophomore Paige Woolard had three. Erin Mowry had one and Amanda Tucker had one.  Tucker also served up a team-high 3 aces of the 11 team aces.

Windsor 's defense was also key to the comeback win. They recorded 51 digs, one of the highest team totals from one match this season. Bell's 24 digs were 42% of the team digs. The other 58% came from six other players.

Tucker and Bullock had eight, each. Williamson had five, Floyd four, Bennett one and Bailey one.

The only stat not impressive for the Devils was blocks. They had just two blocks, shared by four players, Bullock, Woolard, Mowry, and Bennett, each with half a block.

Windsor (14-9, 7-3 NTC) plays Tri-County next.

Windsor def. South Central, 20-25, 25-17, 25-22

Devil stats: Lindsay Floyd 15 assists, 4 digs; Autum Bennett 3 kills, 1 dig. .5 blk; Erin Mowry 1 kill, .5 blk; Amanda Tucker 1 kill, 3 ace, 8 dig; Jenny Bullock 14 kills, 2 aces, 8 digs, .5 blk; Paige Woolard 3 kills, 2 aces, .5 blk; Dani Bell 2 ace, 24 digs; Charley Bailey 4 kills, 1 dig; Kassy Strowmatt 5 kills; Olivia Williamson 8 assts, 2 aces, 5 digs

JV

South Central def. Windsor, 18-25, 25-20, 25-22