The Shelbyville School Board approved two grant applications during this month’s meeting.
Superintendent Denise Bence presented applications for an Illinois State Board of Education maintenance grant in the amount of $50,000 and additional Qualified Zone Academy Bonds (QZAB) in the amount of $3.6 million to be used toward the HVAC system.
“We got 70 percent of the amount we requested before,” Bence noted. Previous QZAB funds were used for new windows and geothermal system for Moulton Middle School last year.
The board also approved the updated parent student handbook. Bence noted that there were no significant changes to the handbook but was reworded to match the policy.
Athletic Director Tony Pullen presented a track resurfacing bid from Athletic Field Services, Inc., in the amount of $42,000. The work includes cleaning, repairing and repainting of lines on the all-weather athletic track. Pullen noted that there is a line item in the budget to cover the resurfacing.
In other business the board approved the lease renewal contract with Illinois Consolidated Telephone Company for the Unit Office.
The amended budget for the 2014 fiscal year will be on public display with the budget hearing set for June 13.
In administrative reports, Main Street School principal Shannon Shallenberger reported that the Main Event raised $6,400, including a $250 donation from Beyer’s Chiropractic.
Moulton principal Russ Tomblin reported that the Illinois Association of Student Councils has recognized the Moulton Student Council with the Honor Council award for the service projects they have done during the past year.
Tomblin also made a special presentation to retiring teacher Mary Jane Frost.
Following executive session the board:
- Accepted the resignation/retirement of Laurie Sweeney at the end of 2015-16 school year.
- Accepted the resignation of Wendy Griesemer and John Tynan as student council sponsors effective at the end of 2012-13 school year.
- Approved the following coaching positions:
- Junior High baseball, Sam Mehl
- Junior Varsity basketball, Kyle Ladd
- 8th Grade boys basketball, Roger Jones
- Varsity girls basketball and 8th Grade girls basketball, Greg Reynolds
- 7th Grade girls basketball, Megan McDonald
- Varsity cheerleading, Katy Ladd
- Junior High cheerleading, Leslie Miller
- Varsity boys and girls cross country, Kevin Kramer
- Junior High cross country, Jason Palmer
- Assistant football coach: Bill Duckett, Greg Harkins, Brad Hilbert
- Volunteer assistant football coach: Mike Allen, Paul Workman, Brent Weakley, Justin Walen
- Varsity wrestling, Greg Harkins
- Junior Varsity wrestling, Ross Forlines
- Junior High softball, Michele Petska
- Varsity golf, John Tynan
- Varsity volleyball, Lisa Peifer
- Assistant volleyball, Jamie Watson
- Freshman volleyball, Courtney Mills