Valorie Eversole Daily Union Reporter
Shelbyville Daily Union
---- — Three new board members and one re-elected member were sworn in to the Shelbyville School Board Thursday evening.
Gary Hayden was reseated to a four-year while Mike Durbin and Ellen Trainor were seated to four-year terms. Mark Snider was elected to a two-year term.
Outgoing board members Gary Wheeler, Toby Koonce, and Matt Beyers were recognized for their service on the board by President Rob Bosgraaf.
In the reorganization of the board, Bosgraaf was re-elected as president; Scott West as vice-president; and Chrissy Grant as secretary. Barb Olivier was reappointed district treasurer and Connie Hall was reappointed as clerk to the board.
Meeting times will continue to be the third Thursday of the month at 7 p.m.
The board also designated Shelby County State Bank, Busey Bank and First Federal Savings and Loan as depositories for the district.
Prior to the swearing in and reorganizational meeting, the old board approved the revised 2012-2013 school calendar as presented by superintendent Denise Bence.
"With the two snow days, May 21 will be the last day of school," Bence said.
The board approved the co-op agreement with Windsor and Stewardson-Strasburg schools for girls basketball. There are no changes to the agreement from this year.
Superintendent Denise Bence noted that there will be an adjustment to the budget for the current year. The deficit in the education fund was projected at $674,000, but the amount was actually $400,000.
Special activity dates presented by administrators included:
May 5 - Baccalaureate at the High School
May 7 - Senior Awards Night at the High School
May 9 - Main Event at Main Street School
May 16-17 - Final exams at the High School
May 18 - Graduation at the High School
As a result of executive session, the new board accepted/approved:
- Resignation of Mary Bolinger as yearbook sponsor at the end of the 2012-2013 school year.
- Retirement/resignation of Brian Applegate and Teresa Bauer at the end of the 2016-2017 school year.
- Retirement/resignation of Mary Jane Frost at the end of the 2012-2013 school year.
- Resignation of paraprofessional Sally Voyles at the end of 2012-2013 school year.
- Resignations of custodians Matthew Pittman and Tony Shultz effective in April.
- Employment of Nathan Parks and Scott Welton as custodians.
- Employment of Jennifer West as paraprofessional for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Employment of Stu Hott as High School Varsity boys basketball coach.
There was no action taken as the result of a special board meeting held prior to the regular board meeting.