Shelbyville Daily Union
---- — After serving the residents of Shelby County as Sheriff for the past eight years, Sheriff Mike Miller would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your trust and support as he announces his intention to run for re-election.
Sheriff Miller pledges his continued professional common sense approach to law enforcement, as well as the honesty, integrity, and good customer service the citizens of Shelby County have come to expect from the Shelby County Sheriff’s office. Sheriff Miller firmly supports the constitutional rights of our citizens and will strive to see those rights preserved. In Sheriff Miller’s 17 years of law enforcement he has learned the value of treating everyone with respect.
During his tenure, Sheriff Miller and his staff have worked diligently to constantly improve their methods and practices to provide the highest level of protection and service. Every year Sheriff Miller has stayed within his annual budget. The Sheriff’s Office has also benefited from grants totaling over $1,000,000 and have cut costs that have saved the county taxpayers money during Sheriff Miller’s terms in office. Here is just some of the money saving major accomplishments during Sheriff Miller’s last eight years in office:
* New surveillance cameras for detention center
* Ten on-board video cameras for squad cars
* On-board computers for squad cars
* New bullet proof vests for deputies
* Vast improvement in digital communications
*Two K-9 dogs, equipment and vehicles
* Replaced outdated duty weapons and added patrol rifles
Other important achievements of his last eight years as Sheriff include:
* Installed camera surveillance and improved courthouse Security
* Hired first female deputy in Shelby County
* D.A.R.E. Program (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) in all Shelby County schools
* Continued support of TRIAD (an association between Sheriff’s Office and seniors to keep seniors informed and safe)
* Built and continue to maintain excellent working relationships with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
* Implemented Offender Watch tracking of Sex Offenders for safer communities
* Awarded college scholarship each year from the Illinois Sheriff’s Association
* implemented GED and Church services for inmates while in custody
* Received high ratings on jail inspections done yearly from Illinois Department of Corrections
* Increased deputy patrol staff from 8 to 10 patrolling deputies
Sheriff Mike Miller was born and raised in Shelby County and lives in Herrick with his wife Trish, who is a registered nurse, and their three sons AJ, Taylor and Nicholas. Sheriff Miller’s father and mother are John and Linda Miller also of Herrick.
Sheriff Miller is a member of the Illinois and National Sheriff’s Associations, Fight Crime Invest in Kids organization, Family Violence Coordinating Council, St. Patrick’s Catholic Church of Pana, Clover Leaf Lodge 990 of Herrick, Oconee Lion’s Club, Boy Scout Troop 98 Executive Board, and a past member of the Cowden-Herrick School Board.
Looking to the future Sheriff Miller plans to lead the effort of providing Enhanced 911 services to Shelby County which will ensure faster response times by all emergency services. Sheriff Miller has dedicated his professional law enforcement career to the safety and well- being of all Shelby County citizens and would like to continue that dedication and service. During his campaign for the upcoming March 18 2014 Primary Election Sheriff Miller plans to speak with many of the voters of Shelby County and personally ask for your continued support and trust.