Someone from the marijuana facility saw a fire burning across the fields on Route 16 just north of Shelbyville at 3:28 a.m. and called 911 to report a fire.

The Shelbyville Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire in a chicken coop behind the home of Brandon and Sydney Blades and their three boys.

The fire department was called out at 3:28 a.m. and was back in the station and cleaned up at 5 a.m.

“We weren’t sure of the location when we got the call,” said Engineer Perk Wilson. “But as we approached it, it was easy to see.”

Wilson said the coop, which was maybe 40 feet behind the house, was engulfed in flames. Sydney Blades said that they were awakened by a knock on the door

”Brandon and I were awakened by a loud bang at the door from firemen and police, who were on scene,” Blades said. “The coop perished, as did most of our flock. We have a few lucky survivors. Sadly though, most of our new babies didn’t make it. These babies have been the boys’ pride and joy.”

According to the fire department report, there were 30 chickens and 20 died. The cause of the fire is believed to be a heat lamp. The SFD was on scene about an hour. Initially, SFD was concerned about a vehicle parked near the fire, but it was not in danger.

The good news is that the Blades are already getting right back on the horse, so to speak. The rebuilding of the chicken coop has begun. They had made a lot of headway through Sunday and will be finished, hopefully, in a few days.

John Curtis can be reached at john.curtis@shelbyvilledailyunion.com

John Curtis can be reached at john.curtis@shelbyvilledailyunion.com

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you