Burning trash plus high winds equaled  disaster Sunday afternoon as fire destroyed a shed and garage and damaged a neighbor’s garage in the 500 block of West North First Street Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters were called at 2:27 p.m. to a shed on fire at 508 W. North First. When they got there two structures were fully involved.

“It appeared to be started by sparks from a burning trash barrel. Wind was a major factor,” said Shelbyville engineer Mark Mathis.

The shed and garage were owned by Mike and Christie Ulrich.

A neighboring garage suffered buckling siding from the heat. The garage at 512 W. North First is owned by Donald and Cheryl Mullins.

Firefighters were also called out to a report of smoke in a restroom at the Youth Athletic Center in Forest Park Saturday evening.

Upon arriving they found smoke in the building and a trash can on fire in the men’s restroom. It was determined that the fire was started by a discarded cigarette.

The fire was contained to the restroom, which suffered smoke and heat damage.

 

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you